Feedback and Comments

Want to email the show? richlather@gmail.com

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Please excuse our dust.

So I'm a bit fed up with Podcast Pickle. I've had to send off for new passwords twice now, and for whatever reason they chose to stop supporting the old individual episode players, so I've got to go back and put in code for the new player. And I've no idea why episode 3 and episode 13 are missing from the big player at the top of the page.

Le sigh.

So now I'm trying a couple of new places with which I hope to expand the podcast's listenership. The first is Podcast Kicks, which aims to be the new Digg of Podcasts since, as I mentioned in episode 13, Digg pretty much ejected their podcast section. The second is Podcast Alley, which is where the little bit of code at the bottom of this post is connected.

Onward and upward, dear Cohort. Onward and upward.

My Podcast Alley feed! {pca-f383480a9e826fad2141056385ad7c51}

1 comment:

Daryl Surat said...

Actually, as I just discovered upon noticing that the old individual episode Podcast Pickle players were still displaying on my previous episodes, the code for the old player still works just fine. You just can't go to the Podcast Pickle website, enter in the link to your MP3, and have it spit out the player code anymore. So just open up an old post containing the original block of code and replace the old MP3 link with the one you want to use. It'll work just fine, and I know this to be true since I literally just did it moments before typing this out.

Still, whatever changes they made to Podcast Pickle resulted in AWO being removed as a favorite for every single person who was using it. As the change happened some time ago and I'm still at basically zero favorites, I can only assume that all of those users just had me listed as a favorite because they were already listening to the show back when I asked to do it. Perhaps they registered just to favorite me? Kind of counter-productive, I guess.

Of course, no site better embodies that mentality more than Podcast Alley. It's the modern day equivalent of those "TOP 100 WAREZ SITES" from the early days of the WWW. The layout of that site has me strongly doubting that anyone actually goes there for the sake of finding new podcasts to listen to. It seems more suited to inviting visits from people who are already listening to a given podcast, and the multi-stage nature of the voting means that most people will only go to the trouble of voting for the one show they were sent there to support. What does this gain? A higher ranking that's ultimately probably ignored since everyone visiting is just there to vote for whomever sent them there in the first place. As such, the rankings there don't directly suggest quality of a given show as much as popularity. But I suppose it's entirely likely that I don't know what I'm talking about...as usual.

 
Clicky Web Analytics